The question I am seeking to answer in this entry is “What does the world say a man is?”
What makes a man: great, strong, powerful, and attractive?
If you are reading this, then I challenge you with this question- What lies have you believed about men? What do you think a man is?
Because here is the reality- We are constantly bombarded with messages to the point that we become numb to what we are seeing, hearing, believing etc. And in this assault of lies, we inevitably accept some of the lies as truth. This is convicting for me (as many of my blogs are) because at some point or another, I have probably accepted these lies as truth.
Disclaimer- While reading this, I imagine you will tell yourself- “I dont believe this, no way.” But the question I submit to you is this- Do your actions match your stated beliefs? Consider that as we evaluate what the world says about a man.
Here we go- What does the world say a man is?
My research on this was very simple. I simply typed “Men” into the search bar. I came to a very popular website. http://www.askmen.com/
Ive made some observations based off of AskMen.
- Power- Power is a masculine attribute. Powerful men are important. Power is something a man should strive for. Power comes from position, influence and money.
- Sex- Sex is nothing more than a recreational activity that is a common act between people, whether they are in a relationship or not. Men are encouraged to hone their sexual skills and conquer as many women as they so choose. Sexual urges are normal and they should not be inhibited in any way.
- Health and Sports- The world praises athletes. Our culture glorifies exceptional athletes. Men that have athletic prowess are generally highly regarded. Fitness is also very important. Men are expected to be in great shape.
- Money- Money means everything, especially for men. A man that makes a lot of money is very successful.
- Cars- Nice cars symbolize success and status.
- Celebrities- Celebrities are the ultimate measuring stick for a man. They have money, power, and status.
- Fashion- Fashion is just another way to show that we are wealthy or powerful. How we dress determines the type of man that we are.
This list is by no means exhaustive, but it is more than adequate. Now, moving on to Part 3- Women.